December 3, 2020

Mets’ Wilson Ramos working on defense after hearing ‘bad things’ (New York Post)


Wilson Ramos expects to be the Mets starting catcher next year — including when Noah Syndergaard is on the mound.

Ramos said he was pleased when general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said last week at the GM meetings that the 32-year-old was “our guy” as catcher.

“I was happy with what he said,’’ Ramos said Thursday. “It gives me more confidence to keep working hard and come back in spring strong and in better shape.”

“We have a starting catcher in Wilson Ramos that we were pleased with his performance, particularly in the second half of the year last year,” Van Wagenen said last week. “Our starting pitchers got very comfortable throwing to him in the second half of the year and we feel like there are very few catchers who can be improvements on who we have, so we like who we have and expect to go into the season with Wilson Ramos as our guy.”

Ramos had a rocky first season with the Mets, with many questions surrounding his defense.

Given those struggles, there’s been thought the Mets could go after another high-profile catcher.

Yasmani Grandal, a Mets target last offseason, signed with the White Sox on Thursday, although the Mets didn’t pursue…

Read “Mets’ Wilson Ramos working on defense after hearing ‘bad things’” at New York Post