At the beginning of each offseason, MLBTR publishes a list of the top 50 free agents on the board by projected earning power. It has only been a month and a half since this winter’s top 50 hit the site, but little did we know then that this offseason would move at such a rapid pace. We’ve already seen more than half of the members of this year’s list (27 players), including four of the top five, either sign new contracts or accept qualifying offers. With that said, let’s check in on how MLBTR has fared with its predictions thus far…
1. Gerrit Cole, SP – Predicted: Eight years, $256MM. Signed: Nine years, $324MM.
2. Anthony Rendon, 3B – Predicted: Seven years, $235MM. Signed: Seven years, $245MM.
3. Stephen Strasburg, SP – Predicted: Six years, $180MM. Signed: Seven years, $245MM.
4. Zack Wheeler, SP – Predicted: Five years, $100MM. Signed: Five years, $118MM.
6. Madison Bumgarner, SP – Predicted: Four years, $72MM. Signed: Five years, $85MM.
7. Yasmani Grandal, C – Predicted: Four…