April 12, 2021

Mookie Betts’ Red Sox future isn’t changing after Alex Cora debacle (New York Post)



BOSTON — The Boston Red Sox say the turmoil in the manager’s office isn’t a reason to give up on this season and trade outfielder Mookie Betts.

“The goal remains to be competitive always,” Chief Baseball Officer Chaim Bloom said this week after Alex Cora was ousted, leaving the Red Sox without a manager with less than a month before spring training. “2020 is important. So are 2021, 2022 and beyond.”

The 2018 AL MVP, Betts has been the subject of trade rumors this winter because he is in the last year of team control before he is eligible to become a free agent. The two sides avoided arbitration and agreed to a one-year, $27 million contract for this season.

“He’s the biggest person for our team, or one of the biggest,” shortstop Xander Bogaerts said on Thursday at a Fenway Park availability before the annual Boston Baseball Writers Awards Dinner. “We have a lot of veterans in this clubhouse to make another run. We’ve been through the good and we’ve been through the bad, and we’re still here. We should have a great year again this year.”

Red Sox infielder Michael Chavis also said he was excited nothing came of the trade rumors.

“Mookie did…

Read “Mookie Betts’ Red Sox future isn’t changing after Alex Cora debacle” at New York Post