In his first public interview since announcing historic penalties for the Astros last week, Manfred told Fox Business Network that MLB will honor the “long tradition in baseball of not trying to change what happened.
“I think the answer from our perspective is to be transparent about what the investigation showed and let our fans make their own decision about what happened,” Manfred said Wednesday.
Manfred’s comments came one day after the Los Angeles City Council unanimously approved a resolution urging MLB to strip championships from the 2017 Astros and 2018 Red Sox and award them to the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Manfred and MLB confirmed on Jan. 13 that the Astros illicitly used technology to steal opponents’ signs throughout the 2017 regular season and postseason. The penalties included season-long suspensions for general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch, the forfeiture of four draft picks within the first two rounds and a $5 million fine.
MLB still is investigating allegations that the 2018 Red Sox also used…