PORT ST. LUCIE — Robinson Cano was a model of health, until he arrived to the Mets.
Limited to 107 games last year — the fewest of his career beyond the PED suspension that cost him half the season in 2018 — the Mets second baseman said he spent much of the offseason trying to build up his legs. Cano last season had three stints on the injured list, two of them caused by a left quadriceps strain. Then, in August, he sustained a torn left hamstring that cost him a month.
“I just have to prevent whatever happened in the past,” Cano said Sunday. “You have got to get those parts of your body stronger so then I don’t go back again and get injured.”
Cano, 37, still has four years and $96 million remaining on the contract the Mets inherited when general manager Brodie Van Wagenen, in an attempt to make a splash before the 2019 season, sent prospects Jarred Kelenic and Justin Dunn to the Mariners and obtained the All-Star second baseman, along with closer Edwin Diaz. The Mets also sent Jay Bruce, Anthony Swarzak and Gerson Bautista to the Mariners in the trade.
Cano endured a disastrous first half, posting a .646 OPS that raised fears he was finished as a player….