Red Sox ace Eduardo Rodriguez will sit out the rest of the season because of a heart issue, which the team believes is related to the southpaw’s recent contraction of COVID-19.
Rodriguez was diagnosed last week with myocarditis, which is an inflammation of the heart. The 27-year-old tested positive for the novel coronavirus before spring training 2.0, but was cleared to return to team workouts on July 18. Five days later, an MRI revealed Rodriguez’s heart condition, prompting the team to shut him down. Doctors told Rodriguez that up to 20 percent of people who’ve been infected with COVID-19 are diagnosed with myocarditis.
“That’s the most important part of your body, so when you hear that, the first time I hear it I was kind of scared a little,” Rodriguez said. “Now that I know what it is, it’s still scary, but I know exactly what it is. Just talk to my mom, talk to my wife, they know what I have and everything. Now we just gotta take the rest. That’s hard, but you gotta take a rest.”
Despite how much is still unknown about the long-term effects of COVID-19, the Red Sox believe Rodriguez will make a full recovery. Chaim Bloom, Red Sox chief baseball…